Thursday, March 28, 2013

I’m Thinking, But Nothing’s Happening

 

I’m thinking it is pretty pathetic to feel as if one has said all one has to say about everything, but that’s how I feel. 

My writing get up and go got up and went about two weeks ago.  I refuse to believe it has anything to do with recent medical issues.  Those kinds of things usually tweak the urge to write.  It did for a minute, but now…

Not even SCOTUS and its current activities have gotten my fingers itching to attack a keyboard.  Not even all the disgusting and demoralizing incidents of children shooting infants in the face and kidnappings of young girls have lifted the malaise in my head.

I’m thinking it must have something to do with the protracted demise of Open Salon and the slow traction Our Salon has experienced.  There was a time when I’d wake myself up in the morning with an idea for a blog post that half-wrote itself while I slept.  Of course that was mostly back when all the veterans were still there and I was busy building a readership.  A new commenter showing up on a comment thread was incentive enough to get the words to flow.

I miss that so much.  I miss the connection to so many people who have gradually disconnected.  I miss the excitement of having one of my posts selected by the editor.  I miss the different points of view on some of my more controversial pieces, even the ones that stood the hairs on the back of my neck on end.

The flame wars and dustups were monumental.  I seldom participate in them because they are counterproductive, but from time to time I would lurk on the edges and watch.  Oh, the variety of ways there were to tell someone that they are full of shit!  It could be downright entertaining.  Or upsetting.

Remember all the creative open calls?  One-hundred-word challenges.  Letters to our 17-year-old selves.  I even dabbled in fiction in response to an invitation to do so, and I’m not that into writing fiction. 

My mother has a favorite response to everything:  This too shall pass.

Really?

I’m thinking that might not work this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.