Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Thoughts


The distinctly American holiday of Thanksgiving is a mandatory no-whine zone. Whichever Creator you pray to already knows that times are hard, the government sucks, today's kids are out of control, and older age comes with an assortment of annoying aches and pains. Every day when I wake up I have the choice to either wallow in my problems all day or to smile and work toward solving them. I'm human, so some days I wallow. Not on Thanksgiving.


This year required serious introspection in order for me to make the list that follows. But, unless you are deceased, there are things for which you can be thankful. Here are some of mine, in no particular order:



  • My son, Stephen, the center of my universe. He has the ability to make my day turn from sad to joyous by making the kind of phone call he made just before Thanksgiving. He was extremely excited about some progress he had made on a project that could have monumental consequences. He said, "You know, Mom, it's really not about the money. I LIKE doing this." I am thankful that after all these years, he has found something that could make him say that.

  • My sister. Our bond is more often unspoken than not, but it is as solid as Crazy Glue. She is the most loyal person I know.

  • Facebook. Since deciding that it is okay for geezers to participate in the social networking craze, I have reconnected with friends from as far back as elementary school. And now there is no need for people to write those comprehensive holiday newsletters because I can keep with their daily lives on Facebook. Or not.

  • My family. As families go, mine is small. At my age, it keeps getting smaller. But those who are left are standup people who I can be proud to call family -- at least most of the time. My three cousins feel more like siblings because we grew up across the street from each other and spent many, many holidays watching the adults behave badly.

  • My real friends. I am not the greatest friend in the world. Of course, I'm there if I am needed and someone tells me that I am needed. But I am the worst at just reaching out and seeing how you are doing. I get lost in my own head and before I know it another birthday or Christmas has rolled around and I haven't made one call. My real friends understand that about me and have learned not to keep score, but just yell when they want my attention. There are two in particular who have stuck with me in spite of my quirks: one who I've known since I was 4, and one who I've known for about 4 years. I am also fortunate to be real friends with my former husband, from whom I have been divorced for nearly 25 years. Time heals.

  • Coqui, my Bichon Frise dog. She is always at my side, does exactly what I ask and greets me with exuberance every time I leave and come home.

  • Atlanta. This city is has breathtaking beauty, especially during the Fall. This year the colors of the forest we call home are spectacular.

  • Great neighbors. I am never worried about what will happen if I should become ill or incapacitated, even though my sister and her son's family live almost an hour away. They are the best neighbors in the world.

I am thankful to be alive, with reasonably good health, and to still have a handle on my sense of humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.