Sunday, November 15, 2009

She's Baaaaaack!


Sarah Palin's at it again. Under the guise of a tell-all book, Sarah seems to be launching her 2012 Presidential campaign with a frenzied book promotion tour. This time, however, she is unfettered by McCain campaign "handlers," those obnoxious functionaries who she claims told her when to speak and what to say, where to go and what to wear. Whether "the Media," which Sarah has accused of being extremely biased against and unfair toward her, will respond any differently this time remains to be seen. One thing is for certain: Sarah Palin gets all the attention from the media she wants and then some.

I, personally, cannot wait for next week's series of TV interviews with the industry's heavy weights. I might even buy her book, so that perhaps now I will be able to see and understand the appeal this woman has to her supporters. Is there really something more to admire than a pretty face and figure? Will there be a level of critical thinking revealed that will negate the inane remarks she made during the 2008 campaign?

I am well aware of how suspicious conservatives are of so-called Democrat intellectualism. Although I have never thought of myself as an intellectual, I do tend to rely on rational thought and I try to fight my strong tendency toward the emotional when I'm trying to solve a problem or make an important decision. If that makes me an intellectual, I'll take the label, but I can't figure out why that makes me a suspect. I can, however, understand why conservatives might not be suspicious of Sarah Palin. No one has ever called her an intellectual!

So far I know a handful of FACTS about Mrs. Palin:

* Despite her annoying (to me) voice and speech patterns, she has been successful at being elected to public office, so she does have the ability to make a case for her leadership potential.

* For reasons that must be a secret, because the stated "reasons" do not make any sense, she quit the job her state elected her to do.

* She can deliver a scripted speech extremely well. No script? Not so well.

* She has had to deal with the same kinds of family issues we all do in some way, at some time.

* Lots of people find her attractive.

The very fact that Sarah Palin has a large following makes me curious -- about those followers and about Sarah. What am I missing? I intend to find out.
Sarah Palin caricature by Steve Thomason , http://www.spot-studios.net/

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, you could have traded the pronoun her for him and been talking about our current President. Really...Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My computer crashed, so I haven't been able to respond until now: Nice try, tbish! EVERYBODY thinks the President is an intellectual, so it won't work.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.