Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day -- Why?

I woke up this morning with a sense of familiar sadness because it was Valentine's Day again. I am not sad because there is no special man in my life again this year -- that's a choice I have made.

I'm sad for all the kids who went to school Friday hoping to receive a stack of child-sized paper hearts in tiny envelopes, but left without even one.

I'm sad for all the teen-aged girls who watched alone as the "popular girls" walked the halls of their high schools carrying giant Mylar balloons in the shape of hearts, and who chatted excitedly among themselves about the dinner-dates they had with their boyfriends on the big day.

I'm sad for all the wives and adult girlfriends whose husbands and boyfriends will inevitably fail to commemorate the day, in spite of the hints sent their way by every medium, including their women. They must hide their envy as they ooh and aah over the floral tributes that their co-workers' partners had the good sense to send to the office on Friday, just to allow her to show off a little.

I'm sad for all the men who agonize over selecting the appropriate gift for a partner who is allergic to flowers, is on a perpetual diet or cannot see the romance in the new vacuum cleaner he so proudly presented.

I'm sad for the poor guys who just don't understand why this one day seems to have the ability to precipitate monumental fits of temper and tears from women who, on any other day, are strong, practical and reasonable.

It has been my experience that Valentine's Day is a set up for the romantically challenged to fail and for the romantically deprived to feel much worse than they did on February 12. The truly romantic partner doesn't need a day bathed in red and outlandishly priced roses to honor his or her significant other. And those who were not, are not and never will be sentimental are only going to once again fail in the eyes of the partner who longs for a little validation.

Whenever I did have a special man in my life, I was lucky enough to have chosen guys who understood the underlying conspiracy of Valentine's Day. They were either innately sweet and sentimental or they were wise enough to pay attention to the calendar and save themselves a night in the doghouse!

1 comment:

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.