Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Let’s Talk Race

An Open Salon blogger's riveting piece on growing up black on the Southside of Chicago really got my wheels turning. In her post, Raised on Racism: A Survival Story, Keka described how the blatant and pervasive racism, as practiced there in the mid-20th century, shaped her very existence. It just so happens that she also described my reality, with a few variations – I am a few years older than she is, and I grew up in one of Chicago's western suburbs. And, as I have revealed in earlier posts, I saw all sides of the *race problem* up close and personal, because my family is black, white and Native American. That didn't matter, though, because I look, well, not white. Most black people know I'm black by looking at me, but many non-blacks have to ask.

Keka's piece was dead on, but with no overtones of judgment against those responsible for the constant danger we were in every day of our lives. It was what it was. It got me to thinking about a question that crops up occasionally in the press, a question that I have even tried to answer from my unusual perspective: why is it so hard for white people to have a discussion with black people about race? I have never succeeded, though.

There was a time in corporate America when cultural diversity was the topic of the day. Human Resources departments were compelled to hire diversity experts to conduct formal training programs to help employees understand, cultural differences, yes; but more importantly, they believed, cultural intersections. Can't we all just get along? The powers that be were required to believe we could, and they were throwing time and money at the effort left and right.

I am not aware of one such class at my company that didn't end with a black employee screaming wildly at some white co-worker because he or she said something insensitive, broke the unwritten laws of discourse with a black person. There were reports of pushing and shoving, veiled and not-so-veiled threats, and tears – lots of tears. Other skirmishes erupted when a white employee would inevitably take offense at what was perceived as being blamed for the sins of the forefathers. Same result.

After a while, white employees started refusing to attend the seminars. And that pissed off the black employees no end. Some were jeering, calling whites wusses (and much worse). Stereotypes that were once only whispered in homogeneous company were being hurled, loudly, from both sides.

When I get into conversations about race in America with my friends of all racial, social and sexual persuasions, one of my closest white friends becomes visibly agitated and usually flees, mumbling some excuse about being sleepy or hungry or late. She will do just about anything to avoid being labeled a racist, and she is afraid that her mouth will write a check her ass can't cash. (A little 'hood talk, for effect. ~snerk~) She doesn't trust even me enough to speak her true feelings and observations without fear of "saying the wrong thing."

So, tell me. Is it possible to have an honest exchange of points of view, of feelings and beliefs between white and black Americans without all hell breaking loose? Under what circumstances would that be possible?


 


 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Lezlie,
    Elora, here...hope you don't feel I am monopolizing your blog, but you've posted some very interesting things recently, (including your lovely photos yesterday!) I live near the tunnel where the legend of John Henry was born. Every year, our community celebrates the legend of this African American man, John Henry, with traditional music, all kinds of fun for adults and kids alike. It's a really wonderful coming-together of our community over three days in July.

    As for a discussion of race and race relations, maybe we start by looking into each other's eyes and begin to trust that we are all just humans, trying to get through life; looking into each other's eyes with a sense of valuing what we each bring to one another. What we share, rather than what divides us.

    Or maybe I simply don't know enough about what I should be asking about "race relations" or "learning" about race relations...maybe I need lovely people like you to teach me what I should be asking, learning. I'm eager to listen and eager to learn. As Red Green says, "We're all in this together."

    With love,
    Elora

    ReplyDelete
  2. L in the SoutheastMay 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM

    Elora, my dear friend. We ARE all in this together, except too many people don't seem to get that. If we continue with this us vs. them approach to everything, we will be up the proverbial creek. If you want to see some really interesting responses to this post, head over to Open Salon and read the comment thread.

    http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/05/18/arizona_immigration_personal_racism_history_open2010/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. L in the SoutheastMay 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM

    Oops. Wrong thread.

    http://open.salon.com/blog/linthesoutheast/2010/05/18/lets_talk_race

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of trying to talk to someone who is "liberal" politically speaking. We begin to discuss a topic and then all of a sudden it is, "I don't want to argue with you". Argue? I thought we were just talking!!!

    Attitudes extend far beyond race.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.