Monday, April 25, 2011

Royal Wedding? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I was just over on Politico.com reading Friday’s daily debate thread which discusses whether or not the upcoming royal wedding is a waste of money.  Opinions from political pundits ranged from calling the wedding a welcome diversion from the barrage of negative news (Former New Mexico governor (D), energy secretary, UN ambassador and House member) to declaring it’s none of our damned business how the Brits choose to spend their money.

I have a different question.  Why does the American press believe we in the United States are so interested in every minute detail of the spectacle scheduled for April 29 in London?  Last night when I returned from dinner with a high school pal I hadn’t seen in almost 50 years, I was curious to see what news I might have missed.  On every cable news channel I tried, there was a special program about some aspect of royal weddings, past and future.

I have heard estimates as high as $33 million as the dollar equivalent of the cost for this wedding.  That sounds a bit much to me, to say the least, but it’s not my money.  Even if I were the Queen of England, I would be a little embarrassed about that kind of excess, but hey, live and let live.  However, when I saw this morning that NBC’s Today Show is planning to send every one of its anchors across the pond for the big event, I couldn’t help but wonder: why?!

Yes, I will be curious to see Kate Middleton’s frock, because that’s the way I roll.  I watch all the entertainment award shows for the sole purpose of seeing the women’s gowns and/or the freakish getups on Lady Gaga, the new Cher.  But I most definitely will not be among those who arise at 4 a.m. to do so.  By the time I wake up that morning, I will be able to view that dress from every angle imaginable simply by turning on my laptop.  An hour or so later, I’ll be able to order a cheap knockoff of the damned thing on the internet.   Big deal.

I guess older age takes all the romance out of a girl, but I just don’t get the hype.  The few thoughts I do have about Prince William’s marriage are more likely to be about my fear for the future of that seemingly lovely young woman, Kate.  Will she be hounded, sliced and diced the way her prince’s late mother was?  Will she be able to withstand the stifling isolation of palace life?  I know how beguiling true love can get, but I honestly think the girl is out of her freaking mind for signing up for life in a fishbowl.

Oh well, to each his own.  Fairy tales have their place in American culture.  Little American girls still fantasize about meeting a prince (where?  In Topeka?) Or being a princess.  Even I still believe I can afford to buy a tank of gas for my car without selling my car first!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! I think they are better things to do with 33 mil $. You are right it is on TV and news everywhere, but at least they have something "non bloody" to talk about, so I prefer a fairy tale over a horror story.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.