Sunday, April 17, 2011

Why Women Carry Handbags

Many's the man who has been relegated to holding his woman's purse on his lap while she tries on clothes.  They have no doubt wondered why women can’t just carry their shit in their pockets like men do.   Wouldn’t life be a lot simpler for her if she did?

Sure, probably.  But that would be just one more attempt at trying to bring women into behavioral compliance with their far less complicated male counterparts.  Even if it were possible, which is a joke; there is neither way nor reason for women to participate in that exercise in folly.

Now that I live in the Deep South, the thing I have always called a purse is usually called a pocketbook by everyone but other displaced Northerners.  I have always been curious about the origin of that word.  The object is not a book and it clearly doesn’t fit in any pocket I’ve ever owned.

Way back in 1993 William Safire wrote in a New York Times article:

That's easy; in 1617, the word first surfaced to denote a small book, now called a notebook; it was a book of addresses, or notes that fitted in a pocket. By 1816, women were carrying a book-like case with compartments for papers and knickknacks, and they called it a purse, handbag or -- extending the old term -- pocketbook.

Apparently, the snap closure typical of the bags in the 17th century reminded the owners of the closure on books.  Hmmph.

I have carried a handbag since I was old enough to ask for one.   Since my tendency to prattle started when I was less than a year old, I probably exchanged my pacifier for a nice little ladybug purse.  LadybugPurse1261237839_thumb My choices remained small and dainty over the years, probably because that’s all they made for children back then.  In high school I chose the handle-less clutch style so that it would fit neatly on the right side of my carefully stacked textbooks, which were carried according to style in both arms.

It wasn’t until the 1970s that my purses became major productions.  Aged crones like me will remember when man-tailored office workers wore Business woman in sneakers sneakers and socks with their Brooks- Brother-esque ensembles to walk from their transportation destination to their offices.  Floppy ties flapping in the woman with large tote breeze, we would carry not one, but two very large handbags.  One would be called a tote, though.  That would lug our stiletto heels, which would only be worn on carpet or hallway tile.  I loved that time.  No more heels getting stuck in the cracks of the sidewalks or the holes in the sidewalk grates.  No more pump bumps on the backs of my heels.  No more blisters.
 
I was never all that into the logo craze that hit us middle class poseurs in the 70s and 80s.  A close friend arrived at the office one day sporting her new Louis Vuitton satchel, the Speedy Louis-Vuitton-Speedy .  She was beside herself with glee, having waited for years to con some guy into buying the expensive status symbol for her.  I was happy for her.  I really was.  However, I lost control of my mouth and said the following:

“I have never understood the appeal of that bag.  It is canvas covered with plastic and it has somebody else’s initials all over it.  It’s like paying $300 for the *privilege* of being a human billboard.”
Ooops.  She didn’t speak to me for days and I never knew why until I asked her.  Fortunately, I have learned to be at least slightly more diplomatic since then.


 
Women and their purses are serious business.  Men and women who couldn’t care less about fashion and current style probably think the purpose of the purse is to carry essentials, things that cannot fit into the pockets that most women don’t even have in their clothing.   I say that is the least sexy reason on the list:
Carrying stuff:  Yes, there’s that
Collecting:  After the four shoe closets are full…
Security: Something to hold onto when out and about
Status:  “I’m somebody and you’re not” or, more likely, “I am pretending to be somebody and you’re not.”
Weapons:  A woman in Florida cold-cocked a courtroom gunman last December.
 But recent times have pandered primarily to:
Fashion: Next to shoes, they are the biggest fashion-statement opportunity 
 Some handbag designers must do their designing while doing ecstasy or some other modern hallucinogenic.  Take a look at these strange examples of twenty-first century *pocketbooks.*
 
Strange handbags chicken 


Maybe the person who carries this model has a need for fresh eggs during the day?  Hope her mate isn't too...henpecked.







Strange handbags boot  





This one feeds two addictions with one purchase!  I wonder where the sneakers go.





Strange handbags brain 


This is your brain…on the runway!








Strange handbags LV chihuahua 









It looks like Louis Vuitton has taken up taxidermy! 


 
 
 
 
 
YIKES!










 



Strange handbags license plate 


This one must have been designed in some European slammer!






Strange handbags pistol






Now you’re talkin’!
 

2 comments:

  1. L. this was fun. Thankfully, men are now wearing those baggy pants/shorts (though they are UGLY as sin)and they no longer have to ask their women,"Would you put this (glasses, wallet, lip balm, etc)in your purse?" It explains why women previously had to have luggage instead of purses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L in the SoutheastApril 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM

    You are so right, Susan. And forget about it when there is an infant to tote around. Yet another bag is required. lol Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.