Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's a Small, Small, World Indeed


In my previous post, I talked about having hosted my high-school sweetheart and his wife for a brief visit. On the second day of their visit my guests took a short day trip to the town in Georgia where the husband's father had been raised, just to see what it was like and to do a record search for relatives. About 15 to 20 minutes before their return, the doorbell rang. I looked out the glass door, spotted my son's best friend standing there, and smiled broadly. He is like another son to me and I was delighted that he had dropped by during the holidays. As I opened the door, I saw another figure hiding in the corner of the porch. My son had done it again! He loves to tell me he can't make it home for the holidays or Mother's Day and then just show up at the front door. I was thrilled!

Soon my house guests drove into the driveway and were soon meeting my son for the first time.

My high school boyfriend has a son who was born exactly two months before mine, and we had just discovered, while sharing family photos, that these two young men looked enough alike to be be brothers! We laughed at the irony of that and continued to chat. At one point, someone mentioned that the couple's son works as a sports agent in northern California. My son said, "Really? I think my half-sister works at that agency as a sports agent. What's your son's name?" My son then texted his sister and, sure enough, these two young people were colleagues. What are the odds of this Six-Degrees-of -Separation type coincidence occurring?

The two boys will be playing golf together soon at the golf course in the town where my son was raised -- about 2 miles from where my high school boyfriend's son now lives with his young family. Go figure.

1 comment:

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.