Friday, January 22, 2010

Don't Ignore Those Sell By Dates

I have learned the hard way that my tried and usually true method of determining the safety of food should be retired. I purchased a package of lox trimmings at my local supermarket last week and stored it in my fridge. The package said Sell By: January 16, 2010, and I purchased it on January 13. I forgot about the lox until I was scrounging around looking for a simple meal on Wednesday, January 20. They were wrapped tightly in plastic wrap over one of those plastic to-go type cartons, and since lox is smoked and therefore somewhat preserved, I decided to eat it if it passed the sniff test.


Yesterday I developed the kind of sick headache that only accompanies serious gastric upset. The upchucking finally started on Thursday at around 9 p.m. and hasn't stopped since. This morning the other end -- well, you know. I am so sick and dehydrated, but I cannot keep even water down. When I brushed my teeth the taste of toothpaste set off the sixth bout of vomiting. I am all but certain that I have treated myself to food poisoning and I am determined not to ever do it again.


Take the Sell By dates into consideration when deciding to consume food you have stored for more than two or three days without freezing. Taking a chance is just not worth it. Groannn...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.