Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dear God:

 

You already know I don’t think you exist.  I really wanted to believe.  It would make all the hell we are experiencing on this Earth at least worth it if we knew we would eventually land in a sky-based paradise of eternal bliss.

However, there seems to be a horde of people living today that do believe, so just in case I’m wrong – Lord knows… I mean everybody knows I have been wrong a lot – I’m asking for your help.  If you don’t exist, as I suspect, then no harm done.  If you do, you will forgive me for even doubting your existence, because that is what a Loving God would do, in my humble opinion.

One of your true believers, Indiana’s Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock, has made what I consider a ridiculous statement about the crime of rape.  He told a group of voters yesterday he believes if a women should get pregnant as a result of a rape, that is what you intended, so the fetus must be allowed to live.  He said this in order to support his desire to outlaw abortions in the case of rape.

Now, God, you are supposed to be all-knowing, all-loving and all-powerful.  With all the people we have crowding this planet, while adding more at warp speeds, what kind of purpose would be served for you to intentionally create a new life by subjecting a woman to a brutal invasion of her person and mind? 

Yes, I’ve heard that you work in mysterious ways, but such an approach makes no earthly sense.  If it does make sense in heaven or wherever it is you reside, then mankind’s visions of the afterlife have been decidedly off the mark.

Because men like Mourdock tend you blame you for all their cockamamie notions that defy science, a lot of your boosters are refusing to consider the possibility that you hate man’s inhumanity to man even more than I do.  These would-be disciples of yours are bullying the American populace, especially the women, into losing their personal rights to determine what is best for their own bodies, and they are doing it all in your name.

Call me crazy, but in my mind, no Loving God would want to subject any woman to rape, let alone to delivering a child as a result of that rape.  No Loving God in my admittedly limited imagination would force that child to be carried to term to face all the hardships that will undoubtedly face him or her as a result of his or her conception.  I have heard of women who were raped, became pregnant, delivered the child and found it impossible to love that child because of the circumstances surrounding the conception. Would you, a Loving God, really intend such a burden for an innocent child?

Religious fanatics who want to use the word of God as a hammer to beat into submission all Americans in the name of Jesus Christ have got to be mistaken.  If you are God, which they say they believe, then why would you need their help in keeping the great unwashed among us in line?  Why isn’t it enough for them to follow their beliefs as they see fit and leave me and others like me to deal with you individually?  You are God, so you can handle the workload, right?

So here’s how you can help me out.  Would you mind sending an archangel or somebody down here to inform your flock that they will have to find another, more honest, way to achieve their political aspirations?  These fire and brimstone poseurs are starting to give you and your son a bad name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.