Monday, November 1, 2010

Sister Wives TV Special Makes Me Wonder

.



Sister Wives Post-Season Special

#2, #3 Kody Brown, #1 and #4

 
World Series Game Number 4 was only periodically interesting to me Sunday night.  If I had my way, I would only tune in for the 9th inning for any baseball game.  It is, after all, the only one that really matters, right?

I wandered over to TLC where I'd heard there was a post-season special of Sister Wives scheduled to air at 10 p.m. EDT.  I didn't  start watching the series' first season until toward the end of the run, so I was curious to see if I could learn more to help me answer the question that has nagged me since I first heard of "plural marriages:"  Why would any woman agree to be one of several wives concurrently?

The last episode of the season featured the wedding reception that resulted after Kody decided to "court" Robin, a divorcee with three or four children.  Turns out that Wife #1, Mary, had met Robin and suggested that she might be wife-material for her husband!  In fact, it seems that Mary was responsible for introducing Wives #2 and #3 to the plurality too.
 
So I guess I was a little surprised when Mary and Kody spent their 20th anniversary dinner at a fancy restaurant discussing Mary's jealousy issues surrounding Kody's courtship of Robin!  Well, not a discussion; it was more of a monologue with Kody muttering a few feeble responses. What I found far more surprising was the civility of that discussion.  It just didn't ring true, somehow.

Sunday night's special consisted of an interview of all five of the Browns by NBC's Natalie Morales, allegedly to discuss the many twists and turns the family have experienced since deciding to participate in a rather risky reality show.  Polygamy or plural marriage is illegal in Utah, where they reside.

Nothing particularly earthshaking was revealed.  The only news to me was that Wife #2 had been married to Mary's brother and quickly divorced before Mary decided to see if Kody might want to add her to the team.  
Once again my gnat-like attention span allowed my mind to wander into a waking dream state wherein I tried to put myself into the role of a Sister Wife.  (Or more likely, Sistah Wife!)

There are so many reasons this scenario is about as likely as the Democrats winning extra seats in Congress Tuesday.  The idea of sharing my mate with another woman is only slightly less ludicrous than the idea of sharing him with three.  In fact, my inability to play well with others in the picture led to two trips to divorce court in my actual life.

And then there's the schedule.  I'm talking about the conjugal visits Kody would make in rotation to each wife's individual living quarters.  I'm sure ole Kody, when not absolutely exhausted, wore a permanent grin on his face, at least in the mornings.  But I'm just not a schedule kind of girl.  What if I wasn't "in the mood" on my night?  I might have been in the mood the night before, gotten pissed off because he was in the next apartment getting it on with whomever, and vowed to never let the louse touch me again

The Browns have a total of 16 children after the Yours, Mine and Ours are counted up.  Only one of the wives has a full-time job, so she and Kody are the major source of income for 21 people.  Sister Wives Entire Family If I were to be catapulted (kicking and screaming, of course) into that scene, I would have to be the one with the full-time job because she doesn't have any household duties.  The other three are stuck with the joys of child care, laundry, cooking and cleaning.  No thanks.

 Now I'm imaging what a household with 16 children would sound like at dinner time.  They range in age from 18 years to 18 days old.  Do I need to say more?

I don't even want to think about what kind of a Looney Toon Kody Brown must be.  I mean, even if he started out perfectly sane and rational, trying to anticipate the land mines that most husbands have to try to avoid should eventually drive the man starkers.  And we all know how women who live in the same building tend to synch up when it comes to their menstrual cycles.  Four jealous women in the midst of PMS.  Picture that.

My freaked out mind returned to the TV screen just in time to hear the show has been renewed for another year.  If Kody is still alive by the time shooting starts again, I wonder how much of his rapidly dwindling hair he'll have left.

So here's my question:  What the hell is in it for those women?  I can't see it.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that Mary is the one who seems to recruit the other wives for Kody and yet she seems to be the one who is the most jealous. I think the fact that the new wife Robyn is the most attractive and youngest makes Mary even more jealous. I predict that she and Kody will end up divorced. The fact that Robyn lives in a totally separate house may be a bad situation too. Ole Kody could be there at Robyn's house when the other wives think that he is somewhere else. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.