Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Propofol and Me

Deputy District Attorney David Walgren holding Propofol

LA Deputy District Attorney David Walgren displays 100 ml bottle of propofol to Dr. Conrad Murray’s jury.

The criminal trial of Dr. Conrad Murray for the death of superstar Michael Jackson centers around the doctor’s use of a milky substance called propofol.  A drug used to sedate patients in order to help them tolerate painful medical procedures, propofol is generally administered only in hospitals by physicians certified for its use, surrounded by machines which monitor the patients tolerance of the drug and tools needed to open the patients airway in the event of breathing difficulties. 

It is alleged that Michael Jackson ordered Dr. Murray to administer propofol to him as a general sleep aid. In fact, according to testimony in today’s session of the trial, Dr. Murray purchased from a pharmaceutical distributor a total of 255 bottles of propofol between May 2009 and Jackson’s June 25, 2009 death. Roughly half of those were 100 ml bottles; the remainder were 25 ml bottles.

My last colonoscopy took place about five years ago here in Atlanta.  After enduring a horrendous 24 hours of preparation I was delighted that this time I would be put to sleep for the actual procedure.  The anesthesiologist explained the process as I lay in my hospital gown waiting for my turn. He said they would be using a new drug that was fast acting and short-lived.  He said I would wake up quickly with very little time needed for full recovery.  It was propofol.

When the anesthesiologist injected the propofol into my IV, it was as if he had thrown a light switch to the off position.  There was no gradual fade out, no funny sounds or twirling visual patterns.  One second I was conscious, the next second I wasn’t. 

Without any sense of the passage of time, I next heard the voice of my charming gastroenterologist gently suggesting that I wake up now.  My eyes flew open and I was up.  I never slurred a word or was the tiniest bit groggy.  On the contrary, I felt a euphoria, a lightness.  I was as refreshed as I have ever felt from a power nap. 

It is easy to see why someone who is plagued with insomnia to the extent that Michael Jackson is reported to have been would crave the artificial sleep-state provided by propofol.  It turns off all mental systems – no dreams, no tossing and turning, no sense of being whatsoever.  On the other hand, there is no lapse of memory or groggy side effects.  What’s not to like?

I have no doubt whatsoever that this powerful drug, administered incorrectly or outside the prescribed guidelines, would be unceremoniously deadly.  One second alive, the next second deceased.  Just like Michael Jackson was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.