Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Need the Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things that I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. --Reinhold Niebuhr


My youngest cousin might be on his deathbed. I'm writing that statement to make sure it's real and to help me wrap my brain around it.

My 85 year-old mother just called to tell me that my 55-year-old cousin, her brother's youngest child, has developed an inoperable bowel obstruction. He was overwhelmed by the pain last night and rushed to the hospital, where he is now under heavy sedation.

So much about this is just wrong.

First, it just isn't fair. He's the youngest. He's leaving us out of turn. His sister and brother rely upon his strength of character, and his mother and father, also in their 80s, shouldn't have to even imagine having to witness cancer's massacre on their baby boy.

Second, my mother called me so that I could talk her off the ledge. This nephew of hers is her godson. She promised God to look after him in the event his parents couldn't. What's wrong with having my mom call me for support is that, despite our 10-year age difference, we were the closest to each other. My heart is shredded with this news, but I have to bear up because my mother needs me.

Third, cancer has killed every male in my family who has died during my lifetime. This disease has stricken my younger sister, who, contrary to conventional wisdom, doesn't seem to have inherited breast cancer -- she is the only woman in the family who has had it. Mercifully, she is a 20-year survivor.

Enough, already!

How does one prepare for the inevitable loss of someone so young, so dear and so sorely needed?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think there is a way to prepare really. I'm a chaplain at a local hospital (volunteer program) one morning a week, which just happened to be today. I met with several families in similar situations. One friend whose father will die in the next week or two (he's not yet 60) asked me how I "did it" - I lost my father and mother within 4 months of each other. My answer to her is just what I would say to you...one breath at a time. Because literally you sometimes think you can't breathe for thinking about it. It's so easy to say God is in control, and I believe that. But it's not easy to internalize because we work so hard all our lives trying to be in control ourselves. You pray and you cry and you take one breath at a time and then you do it all again. My heart hurts with you. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also too young - Jim Mowrey.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Mowrey is a college classmate who died of an apparent heart attack in the middle of his last skydive. Yes, he, to was much too young. Thank God he went without pain or suffering, doing what he loved to do.
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot prepare. Just accept and remember the good times.

    Hope you find some peace.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment as Anonymous but you want me to know who you are, just sign your comment in a way I will recognize. Thanks!

WARNING: This site cannot receive comments from iPads, unfortunately. I am trying to find a solution.